We’re hunkering down for Winter here at Marmalade House.
This gorgeous old farmhouse inherited that name because of the abundance of old citrus trees. We also dreamt that we’d have marmalade jam spilling out of our preserves pantry by now.
Nah, that hasn’t happened yet ….( neither has the preserves pantry ).
However, I have used these mandarines squished up into a cake after simmering on the stove for an hour.
Our mandarine tree is a sight to behold. Still some growing time needed for the fruit to get bigger but we’ve already consumed lots of juicy goodness. There’s something very satisfying about pick, peel and eat right where you are standing.
The oranges sadly lack the same sweetness so they often end up on the ground, but I have a plan for some of them. It requires using concrete so I need to gather some supplies. Stay tuned while I dilly dally with that idea.
| The lemon tree. |
The grapefruit tree. |
Helen planted a blood orange tree in our citrus grove area. They tasted so sweet and delicious. I’m sure they’ll become a favourite.
Some garden delights over the last couple of months. …proteas, hardenbergia, leucadendrons, pin cushion hakeas, gorgeous grevilleas and a new kangaroo paw.
Jack….our little organiser and a man of fact.
A Construction site birthday cake made by Aunty Claire and Aunty Sara was devoured by all and some piñata shenanigans from Aunty Alice took place afterwards.
The babies were given some special gifts from Chelsea.
We’ve had a landing and ramp constructed out there to allow access to the back of the cottage.
Helen helped him attach it above the door.
Here’s the cake folks. A bit cracked from getting it out of the tin but the flowers are there to distract you.
Keep warm and well everyone.
The garden is looking magnificent. Colour everywhere. Jo
ReplyDeleteThanks Jo. It’s a team effort …….all of it. It’s been a gorgeous winter’s day today so I spent a couple of hours cutting things back and weeding. It was so nice to feel the sun on our backs.
DeleteThanks for sharing your family and incredible garden Helen. Cheers
ReplyDeleteSue. X
You’re welcome Sue. 😘
DeleteLoved the garden tour, so envious. The citrus trees look amazing with all that fruit. I’m always reminded of being a kid when I see orange trees…we had a small one outside the old wash house in Minyip and they were the best. Bought citrus just doesn’t compare. Love, love, love those adorable photos of your gorgeous little people. Looking forward to reading what comes next !!! 💕 Sue E
ReplyDeleteI wish I could make these recordings more often but I lose track of time and then it’s a monumental task to get it all together. I guess that’s why people choose Instagram now. …short daily bursts. I’d probably even struggle with that! I remember the wash house very clearly. I was always fascinated by it. I don’t remember the orange tree though. I wonder if it’s still there……🤔xxPS Can’t even find time to see why I still come up as anonymous!
DeleteOr everyone else for that matter….🤷♀️
DeleteAwesome Mum. Love that you are keeping this up. Garden is still looking amazing even with the cold weather. Xx
ReplyDelete😘😘It’s our life in pictures really isn’t it. I just don’t record the chaos …..but let me tell you there’s plenty of that too! xx
Delete